Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sweet Summertime Memories

The summers are so hot and humid these days, I don't remember it being so hot back in my growing up days.  I love reminiscing about those long, sweet days of summer.  Daddy always planted a garden full of home grown goodness, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, beans, okra, corn, etc. every summer and we had to help in it but the reward was eating yummy goodness at the table on those warm summer evenings and eating juicy tomato sandwiches.  My brother and I had to go out in the evenings and pick butter beans and green beans and we sat on upside down buckets and get bit by the mosquitoes and be hot and whiny.  We would take turns having to go to the bathroom and would stay gone quite a while longer to waste time. There was something about that dirt between your toes though and the smells of fresh veggies that just made life feel just homey.  I loved helping plant the seeds after Daddy hoed the holes in rows, from those little paper bags.  What I wouldn't give now for a nice garden with Daddy out there working hard in it with his white t shirt and hat on.  The old garden spot is just part of the yard now but the memories are still vivid in my mind of how full and beautiful it was.  Those were sweet memories that I will never forget.  Most kids nowadays don't know the value of a good garden and planting seeds and watching them blossom and grow and caring for them so carefully.  I am so thankful for the times we spent together growing a garden, not just growing food but learning how to work hard for things and how good God is to provide for us always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment